Guest Contributor: Bea Louis
I woke up sweating! I dreamed about people with heads that looked like juicy peaches and torsos that resembled ripe watermelons. I decided this needed some analysis. Why am I dreaming about fruit? Could it be the Keto diet I started July 1? I love Keto. Keto works well with my body and the pounds come off, so why this nightmare?? Because it’s summer and my body is rebelling against focusing on chicken, beef, fish, eggs and leafy green vegetables. It wants luscious cantaloupe, cushy nectarines, plump cherries and, of course, peaches and watermelons. So, I’m saying “no” to Keto for the next few months.
So, before the sumptuous fruits of summer slip away, I’m trying these recipes:
Peach and Cucumber Salsa
- 2 cups of peaches diced
- 1 cucumber diced
- 2 teaspoons minced jalapeno with ribs and seeds removed
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- The juice of one lime
- Salt to taste
Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix together. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 day. Serve with chips or use as a condiment.
Berry, Berry Fruit Salad
- 1 ½ cups strawberries (halved)
- 1 ½ cups blueberries
- 1 ½ cups blackberries
- 1 ½ cups raspberries
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Sliced almonds (optional)
- Mint sprigs for garnish
- Place the strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, lime juice and poppy seeds until combined.
- Pour the honey mixture over the berries and toss gently to coat.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours. Stir in almonds, and garnish with mint sprigs if desired.